Getting into online betting on wrestling might take some time as you need to learn a few things, but we hope that our guide will help you on your quest of becoming a wrestling punter by providing you with some key points you need to know, including:
- Where to find the best wrestling betting sites?
- How to find the best wrestling odds?
- What are tips and tricks for online betting on wrestling?
- What are interesting facts about the sport?
List of the Best Wrestling Bookmakers
Wrestling might not be as popular as basketball, ice hockey, or football, but it’s still a trendy sport worldwide. People from the UK, Canada, the US, and even Europe can bet on wrestling even, mainly because many bookies offer betting markets on it.
But suppose you want to set yourself up for success when betting on wrestling. In that case, you should always bet with the best wrestling betting sites available, i.e. bookies that offer competitive wrestling odds, enough market depth, and an occasional betting bonus. It would help if you also looked for bookies that propose in-play betting and have live streams of the fights.
Luckily, many bookies fit that bill, including Sky Bet, Paddy Power, Bet365, LVBet, and Unibet. But know that those are just 5 of many excellent wrestling bookies you will come across.
Wrestling Betting Bonuses & Promotions
Finding bookies with the best wrestling odds is essential, but you should also watch for betting bonuses, promotions, and other offers. These are the best and easiest ways to get a bit more value for your money, and if you happen to come across a free bet offer, you can’t complain about it.
Most bookies will have some betting bonuses ready but know that some sportsbooks will be far more consistent with their offers. For example, bookies specialising in wrestling tend to receive more rewards on more events, whereas others will only have promotions ready for bigger tournaments.
So you should pick a bookie according to your needs, but if you’re a wrestling bettor, it helps if you choose the wrestling betting sites that offer the most bonuses.
How Does Wrestling Betting Work
Wrestling betting has become increasingly popular over the years, which explains why it’s very easy to find an online website that offers betting markets on the sport. But finding the bookie that will accept your bets is only the beginning.
It would help if you learned how to read the odds, which bet types are available, how to use them, and most importantly, how to analyze the data and information to find the correct picks. Admittedly, it takes time to learn all that, but in the long run, it’s worth it.
It won’t be hard finding wrestling betting odds, as most bookies accept wagers on the sport. But while searching through the markets, you will see 2 things – bookies will display odds differently, and the prices won’t be the same across all sportsbooks.
If you’re using a US bookie, the odds will be shown in the American format (+300), a UK bookie will use a fractional odds format (3/1), whereas a European bookie will display the odds in a decimal format (4.00). However, they all mean the same thing, and since the bookies allow you to change how the odds are shown, you only really need to know how to read one format.
But most importantly, you need to understand that the wrestling odds will differ from bookie to bookie. For example, NoviBet can have Triple H priced at 3/1 to retain his title, whereas MyBookie will have him priced at 4/1. It happens because the bookies have different ideas about how the fights will play out, and you, as a bettor, can take advantage of that.
If you believe Triple H will retain his title, you should bet with the best odds – in this case, with MyBookie, as it will increase your potential payouts by 33%. It also explains why price shopping, i.e. searching got the best odds, is significant.
Most Popular Wrestling Competitions
There are many wrestling competitions you can bet on, which ensures that there is always some action, keeping you busy making your picks. But out of all the wrestling events, a few stand out as the most popular, including:
- World Wrestling Championship
- Cruiserweight Classics
- Mae Young Classic
- G1 Climax
WWE is widely known as the pinnacle of wrestling, featuring some of the best athletes and entertainers who compete in the US franchise. Even though the WWE is scripted and more about the storyline than the best fighters winning, it has a sizable crowd of betting fans who don’t shy away from wagering on it.
It’s no secret that WWE betting is a huge business, which explains why the WWE is the most-covered wrestling event across all sportsbooks. So if you plan to bet on WWE, you can rest assured that there will be plenty of options.
History of Wrestling
Wrestling is one of the oldest sports and forms of combat, first depicted in 15,000-year-old cave drawings in France. But we can pinpoint the start of modern-day wrestling in Greece, where the sport was prominent, especially in the Olympics.
Initially, wrestling was developed by Ancient Greece as a way to train soldiers, and it carried over to the Roman Empire, which adopted the sport but removed a lot of its brutality. So even though the original wrestling has been lost, the Roman Empire’s victory over Ancient Greece gave birth to Greco-Roman wrestling.
Wrestling remained popular through the Middle Ages, mainly in Japan, England, and France. And it wasn’t until much later that wrestling was brought to America via settlers who quickly realized that wrestling became very popular among the Native Americans.
Wrestling continued to appear in various military exercises, fairs, and country carnivals, slowly developing into the sport we know today and being played at multiple levels, including college competitions up to the WWE.
Wrestling’s main objective is for the fighter to pin his opponent to the ground onto their back while his shoulders touch the mat for 2 seconds. If no wrestler is pinned during the fight, the winner is decided by points.
If the fight ends in a tie, the wrestlers compete for 30 seconds in a quick battle where the wrestler who scores the first point wins the game. Moreover, there are 4 main moves wrestlers can make during a fight – near fall, reversal, takedown, and escape.
There are also penalties for the fighters who break the rules, such as grabbing clothing, fleeing the mat, or locking or overlapping their hands.
Those are the basic rules of wrestling, but they will differ depending on the competition and event.
How to Bet on Wrestling
If you want to learn how to bet in wrestling, you have come to the right place, as this guide will teach you everything you need to know about it. We have already covered a lot of information, but before we go any further, here are a few things you should know about online betting on wrestling and follow a few steps.
- Before you start betting on wrestling, you need to find a reputable, legal, and safe online wrestling betting site.
- Safety is important, but you should pick only between the best wrestling betting sites, which can offer competitive wrestling odds and enough gambling markets.
- Preferably, you should check if the bookies have betting bonuses, offers, or other promotions. Even though rewards are not as important as the odds quality, they will help you find more value for your money.
- Consider registering with multiple sportsbooks, so you can price shop, look through all betting lines and wager with the best available WWE odds.
- Preferably, you should register on a bookie that has a wrestling betting app, in-play gambling, and live streaming available. You should not limit your options even if you don’t plan to bet on your mobile device or live fights.
- Get familiar with the sport and tie fighters before you place your first bet. It would help if you did not wager on a sport you know nothing about, and wrestling is no exception.
- Form a strong information network with sports betting sites that can provide helpful information, data, and betting previews. It would help if you made your own choices on what to bet, but it never hurts to read what betting experts say.
- Set your limits, know what you can afford to lose and learn how to manage your bankroll. It would help if you were prepared for losing streaks which will come no matter how good you are, but only the best bettors can push through and eventually come out ahead.
- Do not overvalue the availability of online casinos or virtual sports betting on a sportsbook, as those won’t help you make a profit betting on wrestling. Instead, prioritize the odds quality and the depth of the betting markets.
Most Popular Wrestling Betting Markets
Online betting on wrestling can be very entertaining for many reasons. Still, one of the most significant factors that should make you consider starting to bet on WWE is the large selection of available wager types.
Moreover, many WWE, AEW, NCAA wrestling or other wrestling fights are fairly even contests, making it very simple to explore various betting markets and approach gambling from multiple angles.
A match win is the most straightforward bet in wrestling and the most popular bet type punters use on wrestling betting sites. As its name would suggest, the match bet is simply a wager on which fighter will win the next WWE, Olympic wrestling, or NCAA wrestling match.
In bouts that feature 2 fighters, you need to pick which of the 2 will win; however, in WWE Royal Rumble and other events that feature multiple fighters, it can be trickier to predict a winner.
The main thing you should know about match win betting is that the fighter who is most likely to win will always be priced at shorter odds, while the underdogs are always accompanied with higher (or longer) wrestling odds.
Another thing to know is that a fighter can win a match in various ways. He can come out ahead via a submission, knockout, count-out, forfeit or disqualification of the opponent.
Retain title bet is similar to a match win but slightly different, as it includes the possibility that the bout will end without a winner. Moreover, the “retain title” bet type will only be available on wrestling betting sites when a title is on the line.
So if you’re planning to place a bet on wrestling, on a bout that features the defending champion and the challenger, you will have the option of exploring the “retain title” betting markets. And if you decide to use this bet type for your wager, you’re essentially predicting that the defending champion won’t lose.
There are many ways to win this bet, as the bouts can end with a draw, no contest, forfeit, or the fight can end if one of the fighters sustains a serious injury. The retained title will almost always offer smaller odds, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be used.
Near fall is a unique bet you can place on WWE betting sites and is essentially a wager on a wrestler almost winning the match. It might not sound straightforward, but it isn’t.
In wrestling, the fighters can win the fight in many different ways, including a pin when a fighter pins his opponent to the mat with both shoulders touching the ground. If that happens, the referee will start the countdown from 3 and if he reaches zero, the fighter who pinned his opponent wins.
However, the pinner wrestler often avoids defeat by breaking out of the pin, called “near fall”, and you can bet on that. Most commonly, the WWE betting sites will offer wagering markets on the first near fall of the bout, which, as we now know, is a wager on which fighter will get pinned but escape the pin before the 3-second countdown.
Top Heel/Babyface is another unique bet not found in other sports, but it’s also a very popular wager in WWE Royal Rumble and other big fights.
The fighters are usually divided into 2 types, primarily for entertainment purposes. The Babyface is the good guy or someone the crowd supports (Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat), while the Heel is the bad guy or the antagonist of the fight, such as Triple H.
So with this bet type, you can wager on who will be the top Babyface or Heel in the match, meaning that you’re wagering on which group of fighters will win the event.
WWE matches often bring in wrestlers from other brands, such as RAW and Smackdown, and these fighters rarely compete with each other since they already fight in their respective brands.
However, during big PPW events such as Wrestlemania and SummerSlam, the WWW brings them together to fight one another, and you can bet on which group of wrestlers will come out on top.
Wrestling Live Betting
Live betting (or in-play) wagering is common across all sports, and wrestling is no exception. Most wrestling bookmakers will offer in-play betting markets on wrestling, so if you want to place an in-play bet on pro wrestling, you will be able to do so easily, and there are many reasons you should consider it.
Betting in-play is arguably the most exciting way to approach gambling in any fight; granted, it’s also the most challenging, as you need to follow the action closely and make the right decisions. But, on a more positive note, in-play betting can be highly profitable if you manage to do so.
Even though in-play betting can be fascinating and lucrative, you should only do it if you are confident in your ability to read the fight and, most importantly, if you have access to a stable live stream of the game.
You will be able to find live streams on any wrestling sports betting website, but preferably, you should look for streams available on WWE betting sites or on a wrestling betting app. This way, you will be able to place your bets quicker and more efficiently since, with live betting, every second matters.
Wrestling Betting Tips & Predictions
In-play betting can be thrilling, but you’re left on your own, trying to figure out what to bet on and what will happen if you do it. If you’re good at reading the fights, that’s not a problem, but you should preferably stick with pre-game bets if you’re getting into online betting on wrestling.
With pre-fight betting, you will have more than enough time to analyze the fighters, the event, and the storyline and read through all the information and data which will help you make the right choices. But even with all that time, most bettors won’t know how to efficiently find the information that will help them make the right wagers – which is when pro-wrestling betting tips come into play.
Wrestling betting experts are called that for a reason, as they have been wagering on wrestling for years and know all the ins and outs of the sport and, most importantly, where to find valuable information about the fights. It is beneficial if you follow an online wrestling betting site that can offer you betting previews of Olympic wrestling, NCAA wrestling, WWE, or any other event, especially if you’re new to gambling on wrestling.
Admittedly, you should always choose what to bet on, but it doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion, especially if it comes from a wrestling betting expert.
Wrestling Betting Strategies
No hidden strategy or formula will guarantee you profits from betting on wrestling. However, we can give you a few tips and tricks to improve your chances of coming out ahead when wagering on wrestling.
- It would be best if you always made your bets and scouted for the best possible wrestling betting odds available on the market. You can expect to make the most profit if you bet with the best odds, but we don’t have to explain why picking a bet at 2/1 instead of at 6/4 is smart.
- Learn about all the bets you can make on any given fight. You can stick with match betting and will do fine, but sometimes you find far more value with other betting markets.
- Familiarize yourself with the sport and the fighters. You can’t expect to profit from betting on something you don’t know anything about.
- Take your time to analyze all the data and information that is available to you. If you aren’t betting in-play, you should take your time to find the best bets, as you won’t gain anything by rushing it and just picking a gamble because you feel like it. You can also check pro-wrestling betting tips and previews, which are excellent sources of information.
- Find a betting strategy that suits you and stick to it. There is no best wrestling betting strategy; no matter how many sports betting websites advertise, theirs is the best – pick what suits you.
- Lastly, you need to learn bankroll management and try to remove any emotion from betting. Betting is a marathon, not a sprint. You might lose money and go through losing streaks, but if you stick to the plan and thoroughly research before making your picks, you will come out ahead in the long run.
We end our wrestling betting guide, where we have taught you everything you need to know about wrestling. But before we say our final goodbye, here are a few interesting facts about wrestling you might not know about.
- Some popular wrestling competitions include G1 Climax, SmackDown, World Wrestling Championship, Mae Young Classic, Olympic Games, and most All Elite Wrestling (AEW) tournaments.
- The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Kane, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, The Rock, and Triple H are some of the most successful and popular wrestlers.
- Wrestling is very popular worldwide but is most popular in England, the US, China, Japan, France, and Turkey.
- Wrestling is similar to Judo, Jujutsu, Sumo, Sambo, and Chin Na as a combat sport.
- The most popular and legal online bookmakers for wrestling include NoviBet, Sky Bet, Paddy Power, Unibet, and William Hill.
- Wrestling is considered one of the oldest sports globally, albeit its modern version is very different from the early wrestling in Ancient Greece and way before that.
- Wrestling is one of the original sports in the ancient Olympic Games.
- Wrestling is the 6th-most popular sport among high school male participants.
- It is one of the most diverse sports globally, featuring over 200 nations participating in it worldwide.
Now that you know how online betting on wrestling works and what you need to do to set yourself up to make a profit from it, it’s time for you to find top betting sites for wrestling, visit the top-rated wrestling bookies, and start betting!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you bet in wrestling?You can bet on any bookmaker that offers wrestling odds and betting markets. It isn’t that difficult, though, as most bookies will have adequate coverage of wrestling events, but remember to only wager with the best wrestling betting sites with the best odds!
Which site can I bet on wrestling online?Almost all online bookies will offer wrestling betting odds, especially on bigger events like the Olympics or major WWE events. So if you plan to bet only on more significant events, any prominent bookie will do the job fine. In contrast, if you plan to also bet on lesser flights, it is beneficial to pick between wrestling bookmakers that specialize in covering wrestling.
How much money can you make betting on wrestling?There is no absolute limit to how much money you can make betting on wrestling, but it will come down to your dedication to becoming a wrestling betting expert. Betting is still gambling, and you can’t expect to make money each week, but with the right steps, you can come out ahead in the long term and make a few extra bucks on the side.
Is it legal to bet on WWE wrestling?Yes. It is legal to bet on WWE wrestling, as long as you do it on a legal and licensed sportsbook and are old enough to gamble legally. It would be best if you also considered local laws and whether online betting and wagering on wrestling are allowed in your country.
Can you bet on AEW wrestling?Yes. You can bet on any wrestling event or tournament you wish, as long as the bookmaker you’re using offers betting lines. However, there is no shortage of underground and illegal wrestling events on which you won’t be able to bet – at least not on any legal sportsbook.