In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how betting on the next Pope works, how you can do it, and ultimately, answer three key questions:
- Where can you bet on the next Pope?
- Which betting sites offer the next Pope odds?
- What are tips and tricks for the next Pope betting?
The Best Betting Sites to Bet on the Next Pope
Betting on the next Pope is a very niche market, so it shouldn’t be surprising that next Pope odds aren’t as available as odds on the Premier League, NBA, or other sports events. However, while there aren’t as many sportsbooks that offer next Pope odds, plenty does, ensuring we can find the betting markets and place picks on our favorites without too much hassle.
However, even though it’s fairly simple to find betting sites that offer next Pope odds, there are a few things you need to keep in mind when selecting sportsbooks.
- The most important thing when deciding which betting site to register with is to ensure that it is safe, legal, and has a valid betting license. It would help if you only bet with safe bookmakers that operate legally, which can ensure that you will get paid and that your money won’t be stolen.
- Betting odds and market offers are very important factors, so naturally, you’ll want to register with a bookmaker with the best next Pope odds and enough betting markets to place bets however you like, with the best possible offer.
- Betting bonuses and promotions aren’t as important as odds quality, but they offer much value for bettors. Finding the next Pope-specific betting bonuses will be difficult as few bookmakers have such offers. Still, you can focus on other promotions, such as welcome offers, which can be highly beneficial.
- Other features like the availability of a mobile betting app, a stable website, and good customer support are just as important. Even if you don’t plan to bet from your phone, having that option is beneficial. Naturally, you’ll want to use a bookmaker with a stable platform and a good customer support department if you encounter any issues.
If you find a bookmaker which offers the next Pope betting options and checks all those marks, you have found a good betting site to register and bet on. But as we’ll touch on later in this article, you should register with multiple bookmakers, not just one.
The Next Pope Odds
When betting on the next Pope, or even if you’re into Pope name betting, you’ll want to do it on bookies that offer the best possible odds. The problem is that there is no such thing as one sportsbook that will always have the best odds.
So depending on who or what you want to bet on, you must use different bookmakers to get the best odds.
It leads us to our main tip for bettors looking for the best next Pope odds – consider registering with multiple betting sites. It is the best way to access the best offer and put your next Pope predictions in action at the best price.
The Next Pope Historical Odds
Finding the next Pope’s odds on previous elections is trickier than finding historical odds on sports events. The next Pope betting is a niche market; few online websites or services keep track of it.
|Potential Next Pope||Historical Odds|
|Luis Antonio Gokim Tagle||5/1|
|Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson||6/1|
|Raymone Leo Burke||8/1|
|Angelo De Donatis||10/1|
|Timothy Michael Dolan||12/1|
However, you can always look for past closing odds of the next Pope betting markets at various websites that offer betting previews. Alternatively, some services collect all previous closing odds on most events – including the next Pope elections – granted most are paid services.
Offers & Promotions
As of 2023, every betting site is expected to have bonuses and promotions for their customers and initially added to betting platforms to attract new customers. Betting bonuses and promotions are nowadays considered mandatory for all reputable bookies.
You’ll often come across various bonuses and promotions for specific events, mainly major sporting events such as UEFA Champions League. However, specific offers are far less common when it comes to more niche events, such as the next Pope elections.
Nevertheless, while it will be difficult to find betting sites with bonuses for the next Pope betting markets, you can still find more generic promotions, which can be just as useful. Those include welcome deposit bonuses, enhanced odds, insurance bets, free bets, reload bonuses, and many more.
Although bonuses and promotions are less important than the odds quality, they offer a lot of value for bettors; therefore, it’s advantageous to register with sportsbooks that offer them. While next Pope betting-specific bonuses are rare, they can be found on some of the top bookmakers.
The Next Pope Specials
Reading who will be the next Pope odds and betting on the market is very simple – you have to decide which candidate you believe has the highest chance of winning the next election and make your picks accordingly. But besides the outright winner, the Pope elections also have other markets.
Besides the next Pope predictions, the special markets also allow us to bet on what name the next Pope will choose, which country the next Pope will come from, and even how soon the Pope will be elected. Some specials become available only before the College of Cardinals meets, while others (Papal name) open after the Pope is selected.
Even though we’re likely far from getting a new Pope, betting sites have already opened next Pope betting markets, allowing bettors to get in on it early and bet on whichever candidate they believe is the most likely winner of the next Pope elections.
As of 2023, the betting odds on the next Pope include a few strong favorites, however, note that the offered betting odds on the next Pope will fluctuate and likely look much different after the current Pope resigns or dies.
The current main favorites include:
- Peter Erdo (13.00)
- Odilo Pedro Scherer (15.00)
- Mauro Piacenza (14.00)
- Gianfranco Ravasi (23.00)
The next Pope betting is very straightforward – you bet on whichever candidate you think has the best chance to win or has the odds on the new Pope that presents value. But besides being able to bet on the next Pope, we can also place bets on the Papal Name.
After one of the candidates is elected, betting sites offer their customers a new betting market, where we can predict which name the next Pope will choose. Pope name betting is as straightforward as it seems, and reading the next Pope name odds is as simple as it may seem.
The betting sites will offer a list of possible names the elected Pope will choose, and we can then place a bet on whichever name we believe he will go by. It makes betting on the next Pope a bit different than betting on the UK Prime Minister, where you won’t find the same market, and the same goes if you decide to bet on the next US President – since neither gets to change their name.
Bet of the Day
Finding solid next Pope predictions is tricky and requires an entirely different set of skills than betting on sports. But if you’re looking for the best bet of the day, we have you covered.
Here you can find a link to the best bet of the day, provided by betting sites’ experts who determined it to have the highest chance of winning and returning a profit.
How to Bet on the Next Pope
Betting on the next Pope might not be as popular as betting on sports; admittedly, it’s not as accessible. However, betting on any other event is straightforward and as simple.
- Before placing your bet on the next Pope, you must set up an account with a bookmaker. As noted, you should prioritize safe sportsbooks with solid odds and enough betting markets.
- You should sign up for more than one bookmaker to access the best available offer on the market and take advantage of as many bonuses and promotions as possible.
- Once you have your account set up, remember to verify it. To do so, click on the verification link sent to your email.
- With a betting account set up, it’s time to make your first deposit, but before you do so, check if the betting site has any welcome deposit bonuses available.
- When making a deposit, pick the right deposit method to enable the welcome bonus (if available) and, preferably, use a deposit method that is the quickest without any fees.
- With your account set up and money deposits, the only thing left to do is to navigate to the next Pope betting markets and place your bets.
Remember that you must complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) verification before withdrawing money. Some bookmakers will ask you to do it as soon as you register, while others won’t. Still, while you can delay KYC verification, it is advisable that you do it as soon as possible, which will help you get money out of the bookmaker as quickly as possible once you’re ready to make a withdrawal.
The Next Pope Betting Tips & Predictions
Betting on and reading who will be the next Pope odds is more complex than betting on sports; therefore, it’s more difficult to find solid picks. There needs to be clear data on which candidate is more likely to win, and there is very little indication of which candidate can win.
Ultimately, it’s better to make your own choices. And if you decide to take this route, there are a few things to know.
Grab the Early Odds for the Next Pope
You should bet on Pope well ahead when deciding on the next Pope’s predictions. That is because the offered next Pope odds will be significantly higher if you bet as soon as possible – because there is no way of telling which potential candidates have the highest chance to win.
Bet on the Conclave Choosing Consistency after Pope Francis
While there is yet to be a clear indication of which candidates will win the next Pope vote, we can consider the candidates’ principles and politics and consider how the population accepts them. If a candidate is popular among the masses, then he’s likely to have a higher chance to win – granted, we have to put more weight on the candidates’ policies that would suit the church.
Don’t Put All Your Eggs in One Basket
That is because the offered odds on the next Pope rarely represent the real likelihood of the candidate winning; therefore, you’ll be getting better value wagering on the outsiders. So, for example, odds on Pope Francis winning (even on Benedict) before he did were significantly higher than those of some other candidates.
Only Wager on Trusted Sites and Apps
You should always bet with the bookmakers who have the best odds on who will be the next Pope, but more importantly, you should only bet with safe sportsbooks. As of 2023, there are many secure and legal bookies to choose from – including Sportsbet or Paddy Power – so it’s not difficult to find safe betting sites that offer solid odds for betting on Pope.
How Is the Next Pope Chosen?
Once the current Pope dies or resigns, the College of Cardinals gathers and holds meetings to discuss a series of issues concerning the church. The meeting also includes all potential candidates for the next Pope.
Following the meetings, the College of Cardinals holds a series of votes by secret ballot, which happens over four rounds, until one of the candidates gets a 2/3 majority. If none of the candidates gets the necessary majority, the ballots are burned in the chapel stove, producing a cloud of black smoke, indicating that we’ve yet to get a new Pope.
When one of the candidates gets the 2/3 majority and accepts the position, white smoke is produced, meaning a new Pope was selected, at this point, all odds for the next Pope are closed, and the future Pope predictions are settled.
Pope nationality does not play a factor when selecting the next Pope, and it does not affect who will be the next Pope odds offer. Even though the vast majority (+200) of Popes came from Italy, we haven’t had an Italian Pope since 1978.
The last 3 Popes came from Poland, Germany, and Argentina (Pope Francis). So even though historically, Italy has had the most Popes, the candidates’ nationality does not matter and doesn’t affect the likelihood of one candidate being declared the next Pope.
The Next Pope Overview
Before we conclude our article, here are some interesting facts about betting on the next Pope and the history of the Pope elections you might want to know about.
- The leading favourites to be declared the next Pope are Peter Erdo, Odilo Pedro Scherer, Mauro Piacenza, and Gianfranco Ravasi.
- The last four Popes we had include Pope Francis, Pope Benedict CVI, Pope St. John Paul II, and John Paul I.
- The Pope is elected in the Sistine Chapel of the Apostolic Palace in Vatican City. While historically, there have been more Italian Popes than any other nationality. The last 3 Popes came from Germany, Argentina, and Poland.
- The most popular and legal online bookmakers for betting on the next Pope include Paddy Power, Sportsbet, Bet365, and BetMGM.
- The first-ever Pope was St Peter.
- There have been 217 Popes from Italy (Italian Peninsula), 16 from France, six from Germany (including Holy Roman Empire), and five from Roman Syria / Byzantine Syria.
That concludes our article on betting on the next Pope, providing all the information you’ll need before placing your first bet. Now you’re ready to find the best betting sites and are equipped with all the know-how to make educated bets.
Remember to gamble responsibly, and never wager with more than you can afford to lose.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the next Pope?The Next Pope markets are betting markets, allowing punters to bet on who will be declared the next Pope. It works similarly to betting on the next president, although the selection process is more complex.
Can you bet on the next Pope?Yes, you can bet on who will be the next Pope on various international betting sites, and even though it’s a niche betting market, many bookmakers offer the markets for it.
Where can you bet on the next Pope?You can bet on the next Pope with most of the biggest sportsbooks, including Bet365, William Hill, Paddy Power, and other major betting sites.
Who are favorites to become the next PopeSome of the main favorites for the next Pope are Péter Erdö, Mario Grech, and Pietro Parolin.
What is the next Pope betting odds?You can find the next Pope betting odds on most of the biggest sportsbooks well ahead of time but know that those will fluctuate heavily ahead of the Pope election.
What are the Paddy Power odds on the next Pope?Paddy Power is one of the bookmakers, which offers betting odds on the next Pope, but knows that the offered betting odds constantly move, mainly because some candidates are removed from the election race throughout the year.
How Is the Next Pope Chosen?The next Pope is chosen by the College of Cardinals when the previous Pope resigns or dies. The College of Cardinals holds several meetings before the election and then votes by secret ballot over four rounds until one candidate receives a 2/3 majority.
Is betting on the next Pope legal?Yes. Although a niche market isn’t as readily available as sports betting, betting on the next Pope is legal.